RochesterWatch Forum Index RochesterWatch
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

If you can't beat 'em... Cry about it.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: If you can't beat 'em... Cry about it. Reply with quote Back to top

I've got one word for the folks who want to spread some form of "affirmative action" or other such PC nonsense into every possible environment... whaaaaa Sad

Then I think I'd just flip them the bird and point them back in the direction of commie-town.

Anyway, here's a great example of such.
Arrow http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7160264/site/newsweek/

At some Harvard conference on blogs the comment was made that most of the big sucessful blogs were written by the all time favorite boogie-man of the uber-left, white males. Here's an excerpt:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nor were the faces yapping about the failings of Big Media representative of the human quiltwork one would see in the streets of Cambridge or New York City, let alone overseas. They were, however, representative of the top 100 blogs according to the Web site Technorati—a list dominated by bigmouths of the white-male variety.

Does the blogosphere have a diversity problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of it too. How can the "blogoshere" have a diversity problem? It is available to all, or at least anyone with access to the internet. You don't need a college degree or a special license or a lot of startup money or a broadcast tower. You just put it out there and if you are good, and interesting, and diligent, and a little bit lucky perhaps, people read you.

If indeed, the content of blogs is actually dominated by one group of people it is because those people have been the most successful in obtaining good content and being interesting and grabbing some exposure. To be honest, I don't know for certain what the ethnicity of many of the bloggers or other websites I read are, I can't even be sure of the gender in some cases. I'm sure I'm not alone here and anyway, who cares. If you've got the goods, you've got the goods. Period.

Furthermore, if "minority groups" (yeah, I know, who isn't an oppressed minority of some sort these days) aren't getting exposure it would seem that it's because they aren't present. It has been my experience that these various groups get an extra dose of attention in todays climate.

I imagine that the mayor himself would probably endorse this site as an important voice for the people and give me a free ad on the side of a city bus if I were black. Maybe the D&C would do a spread on the forum and the importance of grass-roots efforts, were I a woman.

The article continues...
And at the Harvard conference, Suitt challenged people to each find 10 bloggers who weren't male, white or English-speaking—and link to them. "Don't you think," she says, "that out of 8 million blogs, there could be 50 new voices worth hearing?"
Yeah, you'd think so wouldn't you. I personally read blogs from all over the world. The problem with this "challenge" is that you can't be considered if you are white, male or English speaking.

How about being judged not by the color of your skin, but by the content of you blog. Gee, I've heard something like that somewhere before.

The real problem here may be in the definition of diversity. I imagine what passes for diversity at a Harvard conference might be different from my definition or yours.

Mark
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like this person has a very similar view.

http://www.buzzmachine.com/archives/2005_03_15.html#009251

No, I actually wrote mine first, then found this. Honest.

The person linked here has a longer and better presentation on this than I do. Coincidentally, they have a much more popular site. See how that works Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RochesterWatch Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: